Thursday, January 31, 2013

Geraldo Rivera contemplating US Senate run as NJ Republican

.
1/31/13, "Geraldo Rivera ‘Truly Contemplating’ Run For U.S. Senate," MediaIte

"Fox News anchor Geraldo Rivera says that he is “truly contemplating” running for a U.S. Senate seat in his native New Jersey. The Hill caught the comments made by Rivera on his daily syndicated radio program.

I mention this only briefly, fasten your seatbelt,” Rivera said. “I am and I’ve been in touch with some people in the Republican Party in New Jersey. I am truly contemplating running for Senate against Frank Lautenberg or Cory Booker in New Jersey.”

He did note that he has contractual obligations to FNC and his radio syndicator, but that a run was worth looking into:

“I’m not going to drill this out, because obviously I’ve got commitments to Fox and to here at the radio program and I’m really having a great time,” he said. “But I figure at my age, if I’m going to do it I’ve got to do it.

Rivera anchors a weekend program on Fox News, and is also a correspondent for the network. He joined the channel in 2001.

Rivera is not the first cable news host to contemplate a run for Senate. Back in 2008 MSNBC host Chris Matthews also had preliminary conversations about running for a seat in Pennsylvania. There is even some precedent: Al Franken, once a comedian on “Saturday Night Live,” is now a Senator from Minnesota." via Howie Carr


.

No comments: